Notice: I have written in other languages, many interesting articles that you
can read translated in English
in these links:
Part 1 and Part 2.


THE MASTER'S LETTERS RECEIVED BY DR. SCHLEIDEN




Dr. Wilhelm Hübbe-Schleiden (link) was a prominent German researcher and academic who contributed greatly to the formation of the Theosophical Society in Germany, and we know that he received four letters from the Masters.

And below I will give you a description of each of them:


* * * * * * *


The first letter was received on August 1, 1884, when he and Colonel Olcott were traveling on the train from Elberfeld to Dresden, and this letter says:

« To be accepted as a disciple on probation – is an easy thing. To become an accepted disciple – is to court the miseries of “probation”. Life in the ordinary run is not entirely made up of heavy trials and mental misery: the life of a disciple who offers himself voluntarily is one of long sacrifice.

He, who would control hereafter the events of his life here and beyond, has first of all to submit himself to be controlled, yet triumph over every temptation, every woe of flesh and mind.

The disciple “on probation” is like the wayfarer in the old fable of the sphinx; only the one question becomes a long series of every day riddles propounded by the Sphinx of Life, who sits by the wayside, and who, unless her ever changing and perplexing puzzles are successfully answered one after the other, impedes the progress of the traveler and finally destroys him.

Let Henry Steel Olcott explain what he knows of discipleship. We refuse no one. “Spheres of usefulness” can be found everywhere. The first object of the Society is philanthropy. The true theosophist is the Philanthropist who – “not for himself, but for the world he lives.” In this direction much is already achieved by Dr. Hübbe-Schleiden.

This, and philosophy – the right comprehension of life and its mysteries – will give “the necessary basis” and show the right pathway to pursue. Yet the best sphere of usefulness for the applicant is now in Germany.

When complications arise and there comes a new development, he will be advised. His health will be looked after: for the present as little writing as possible. “The Father M.·.” [Morya] is in no mood of answering. I do so for him.

K.H. »




And upon learning of that event, Madame Blavatsky wrote a letter to Dr. Wilhelm to ask him to explain how it happened, and Dr. Wilhelm sent him a letter answering the following:

« Elberfeld, August, 1884.

Dear Madam,

You requested me to state to you the particular circumstances under which I received my first communication from Mahatma K.H.  I have much pleasure in doing so.

On the morning of the 1st of this month Colonel Olcott and I were travelling by an express train from here to Dresden.  A few days before I had written a letter to the Mahatmas which Colonel Olcott had addressed and enclosed to you, which, however, as I now hear, never reached you but was taken by the Masters whilst it was in the hands of the post officials.

At the time mentioned I was not thinking of this letter, but was relating to Colonel Olcott some events of my life, expressing also the fact that since my sixth or seventh year I had never known peace or joy, and asking Colonel Olcott’s opinion on the meaning of some striking hardships I have gone through.

In this conversation we were interrupted by the railway-guard demanding our tickets, and when I moved forwards and raised myself partly from the seat in order to hand over the tickets, Colonel Olcott noticed something white lying behind my back on that side of me which was opposite to the one where he was sitting.

When I took up that which had appeared there it turned out to be a Tibetan envelope, in which I found a letter from Mahatma K.H., written with blue pencil in his well-known and unmistakable handwriting.  As there were several other persons unacquainted to us in the compartment, I suppose the Master chose this place for depositing the letter near me where it was the least likely to attract the unwelcome attention and curiosity of outsiders.

The envelope was plainly addressed to me, and the communication contained in the letter was a consoling reflection on the opinion which I had five or ten minutes ago given on the dreary event of my past life.

The Mahatma explained that such events and the mental misery attached to it were beyond the ordinary run of life, but that hardships of all kinds would be the lot of one striving for higher spiritual development.

He very kindly expressed his opinion that I had already achieved some philanthropic work for the good of the world.  In this letter were also answered some of the questions which I had put in my first-mentioned letter, and an assurance was given me that I was to receive assistance and advice when I should be in need of it.

I dare say it would be unnecessary for me to ask you to inform the Mahatma of the devoted thankfulness which I feel towards him for the great kindness shown to me, for the Master will know of my sentiments without my forming them into more or less inadequate words.

I am, dear madam, in due respect, yours faithfully,
HÜBBE-SCHLEIDEN. »




And later when a member of the Society for Psychical Investigations in London questioned him about that event, Dr. Wilhelm answered the following:

« Elberfeld, 9/11/84.

Dear Sir,

In reply to your question about the letter from Mahatma K.H., which I received in a railway carriage of an express train while in motion, I beg to say that it appears to me absolutely impossible that the letter could have been brought into the train by any supposed agent of Madame Blavatsky’s.

It is true we had not changed carriages since leaving Elberfeld, but the letter did not at all fall out of the air, but was found behind my back when I moved, and must, therefore, have been deposited between my back and the cushion of the seat against which I was lying.

There was no possibility of getting there for any matter in one of the three or four aggregate states known to our Western science.  Besides, Madame Blavatsky could have nothing to do with this letter, which was a reply to questions which I had written on Tuesday, the 29th July, and which left Elberfeld on that or the following day for London, addressed to Madame Blavatsky.

Now, these questions could not have been delivered in London before Thursday or Friday of that week, and a reply could, in the ordinary postal way, not have been in Elberfeld before Saturday or Sunday.

The event of my receiving the reply of the Mahatma, however, occurred on Friday morning, the 1st August.  I may mention here that Madame B. assured me she never found my questions enclosed in the letter to her; these must have been taken out while in the hands of the post.

My best proof of the genuineness of this phenomenon, I find, though, is the contents of the letter, for it was not only a reply to the said questions, but also referred to the conversation I was just at that time having with Colonel Olcott.

I cannot doubt that this handwriting of the Mahatma must, therefore, have been precipitated by him at that very instant and transmitted to me by a magic process which lies beyond the power of ordinary man.

I am, dear sir, yours very truly,
HÜBBE-SCHLEIDEN»

(Source: http://www.blavatskyarchives.com/schleidenlettersspr.htm)




* * * * * * *


The next two letters, Dr. Wilhelm Hübbe-Schleiden received them the last time he went to visit Blavatsky in January 1886 in Würzburg, and about that event Dr. Schleiden narrated:

« Thus I had many opportunities to learn a good deal from her and about her, all the more so as she was always exceedingly kind to me and very seldom grew tired of my many questions.

I saw almost all the phenomena that she did at the Gebhard's mansion, and several times I noticed that she could evidently read other people's thoughts.

When I visited her in October, 1885, she had just begun to write it, and in January, 1886, she had finished about a dozen chapters. She was writing at her manuscript almost all day, from the early morning until the afternoon and even until night, unless she had guests.

At that time she wrote articles for The Theosophist as well.

I also saw her write down sentences as if she were copying them from something before her, where, however, I saw nothing!


I did not pay much attention to the manner of her work from the standpoint of a hunter of phenomena, and did not control it for that purpose; but I know that I saw a good deal of the well-known blue K.H. handwriting as corrections and annotations on her manuscripts as well as in books that lay occasionally on her desk.

And I noticed this principally in the morning before she had commenced to work. I slept on the couch in her study after she had withdrawn for the night, and the couch stood only a few feet from her desk.

I remember well my astonishment one morning when I got up to find a great many pages of foolscap covered with that blue pencil handwriting lying on her own manuscript, at her place on her desk.

How these pages got there?

I do not know, but I did not see them before I went to sleep and no person had been bodily in the room during the night, for I am a light sleeper.

I must say though that the view I took then was the same that I hold now. I never did and never shall judge of the value or the origin of any mental product from the way and manner in which it is produced. And for this reason I withheld my opinion then, thinking and saying:

"I shall wait until The Secret Doctrine is finished and then I can read it quietly; that will be the test for me, the only one that will be any good."

This is the reason why on the night of my last parting from Madame Blavatsky, the two certificates which were printed for the first time in the last April number of The Path, page 2, were given tome. At least I found them materialized in my copy of Hodgson’s S.P.R. Report after I had left her. »

(Source: Hübbe-Schleiden´s comentarie published in the Countess Wachtmeister’s book “Reminiscences of H.P. Blavatsky and The Secret Doctrine,” Appendix 1, Note 6)

A reproduction of one of the two Chinese envelopes in each of which Masters Kuthumi and Morya sent their letters to Dr. Hübbe-Schleiden about the triple authorship of The Secret Doctrine.




The letter that Master Kuthumi wrote to him said the following:

« I wonder if this note of mine is worthy of occupying a select spot with the documents reproduced, and which of the peculiarities of the “Blavatskian” style of writing it will be found to most resemble?

The present is simply to satisfy the Dr. that – “the more proof given the less believed”. Let him take my advice and not make these two documents public. It is for his own satisfaction that the undersigned is happy to assure him that The Secret Doctrine when ready, will be the triple production of M.·. [Morya], Upasika [Blavatsky] and the Doctor’s most humble servant. – K.H. [Kuthumi]

S.E.C. »

A facsimile reproduction in black and white of Master Kuthumi's letter.




And the letter that Master Morya wrote to him said the following:

« If this can be of any use or help to Dr. Hübbe-Schleiden (though I doubt it) I, the humble undersigned Fakir certify that the “Secret Doctrine” is dictated to Upasika partly by myself and partly by my Brother K.H. – M. »

A facsimile reproduction in black and white of Master Morya's letter.



Note: in the originals, the Master Kuthumi's letter is written in blue letters and the Master Morya's letter is written in red letters. 





I have found the color facsimile of the Master Morya's letter:
 
.
 
 
 

* * * * * * *


And the last letter is a note from Master Morya that says the following:

« You may stop till beginning of next week and go with Mrs. Gebhard but you have to be [in] Paris on Tuesday [at] latest. Send for letters and tell William Judge [about the triple authorship of The Secret Doctrine].  You have made yourself an irreconcilable enemy of Anna Kingsford, so now there's no help for it. Ask Mr. Sinnett to help you on Secret Doctrine at once if he and others would learn more of occultism.

M.·. »



_ _ _


Dr. Schleiden left these letters to his friend Mr. Driessen, and he later lent them to the Theosophical Society of Adyar, which transcribed them in his book entitled “Letters from the Masters of Wisdom”, second series, Letters N°68-71). It is not known whether these letters are still extant.












No comments:

Post a Comment