Notice: I have written in other languages, many interesting articles that you
can read translated in English
in these links:
Part 1 and Part 2.


THE TELEPATHIC PHENOMENA EXPERIENCED BY FRANZ HARTMANN



(Here, I compile several of the anecdotes that Franz Hartmann narrated in his articles about the experiences he had in relation to telepathy.)



MY EXPERIENCES IN TELEPATHY

« The mutual action of thought in the distance between souls in sympathy with each other, has been known for centuries, if not for thousands of years, to almost everybody except to the representatives of modem orthodox science.

There are probably few persons who have not had some experience in this line; they have known, for example, that such and such a letter from a friend would come, and the letter has arrived; or they have answered questions which were asked in a letter even before the questions came.

To me and to many of my acquaintances these things are of almost daily occurrence; but the following case goes to show that this “telepathy” may be made of some practical use and that the length of distance between the sender of a message and the receiver is of no importance.


Writers of books sometimes receive letters from some unknown admirers of their works, and as I am no exception to this rule, I received, among other communications in 1894, while at Hallein in Austria, a very interesting letter from a lady, Miss A. of Philadelphia, and answered it.

The consequence was a frequent correspondence between us, and very often the questions which Miss A. asked were already answered in my letter to her, before her own arrived.

This led us to try whether a direct communication of thought could be established, and we agreed that every Sunday at 5 p.m. Miss A. would keep her mind passive, while I at 11 a.m. (the difference of time between Hallein and Philadelphia being about six hours) would try to send her some thoughts.

I am not “clairvoyant" in the ordinary sense of that word, but on the first Sunday, after projecting my thoughts to Philadelphia, I knew that Miss A. was sitting in a rocking chair in her parlor, that she wore a morning gown and that her hair was braided and tied on the top of her head. I willed her to unfasten the braid and let her hair fall upon her shoulders.

About ten days afterwards I received a letter from Miss A. which had been written on the evening of that Sunday, and in which she said:

-      “This afternoon, at the appointed time, I sat in a rocking chair in my parlor. I wore a morning gown and had my hair tied up on the top of my head.  Suddenly the thought struck me to unfasten my hair and let it fall over my shoulders. This I did.”

On the next Sunday I could not find anybody in that parlor; but I knew (intuitively) that there was a bedroom attached to it. Into this bedroom I went in my thoughts and saw therein some medicine bottles upon a table.  In due time I received a letter from Miss A., written on the following Monday, in which she said:

-      “I could not come to our meeting yesterday, because I was ill and had to take medicine.”

After that I willed Miss A. to send me an illustrated journal from America, and by the next mail I received a copy of the Arena. Thus things continued for a while, but having sufficiently convinced ourselves of the possibility of such mental communication we abandoned the experiments.


Now my explanation is that the thought of a person is a part of that person himself, and the mental vibrations of which it consists may be endowed with a certain amount of consciousness and perception.

A ray of light issuing from a candle does not become separated from its source, however great the distance which it travels may be, and the thought of a person does not become separated from the mind from which it originates, even if it travels across the ocean.

Thus thought constitutes, so to say, an organ by means of which the mind may reach from one continent to another and perceive what takes place there, according to the extent to which one has been able to endow that thought-ray with consciousness and the faculty of perception.

It seems to me idle to dispute whether or not thought-transfer is possible. It is possible for those who can do it consciously and it takes place unconsciously everywhere. Thoughts are, as the ancients said, like birds.  We do not know wherefrom they come, nor where they will roost.

Every human brain may be compared to a flame or a storage battery from which currents of thought stream out in all directions and enter into receptive minds, where they leave their “eggs," to be hatched out by the receiver and perhaps give birth to a corresponding act.

People do not create their own thoughts out of nothing; they only elaborate the ideas which they receive, and in this way some person may receive and carry out an idea born in the brain of another unknown to him. A serious consideration of this law might perhaps be in different ways of great utility for the progress of civilization. »

(Occult Review, May 1907, p.284-286)







LIFE SAVED BY TELEPATHIC IMPRESSION

« In the year 1871, I was practicing medicine in the State of Louisiana. It was a beautiful winter night with the full moon shining in the cloudless heavens, and I was sitting on a chair in front of my office, enjoying the sight of the starry sky and smoking a cigarette.

The night was cool and I wore over my shoulders a short cloak without sleeves, such as is called an “officer’s cape.” It was after eleven o’clock, when a man came and asked me to go to see a patient living a short distance from the town.

I was not averse to taking a walk and went with him. He led me out of town towards a short tunnel over which the railway track was laid. We were about ten yards from this tunnel when I heard an interior voice speaking to me, which exclaimed:

“Look out!”

Instinctively I put my hand in my pocket and grasped a small pistol, which I used to carry therein. The next moment we entered the mouth of the dark tunnel and as we did so my guide ran away, while at the same time three masked fellows fell upon me, the first one grabbing me at the shoulders and saying he wanted to speak to me.

As my coat was without sleeves and unbuttoned, it remained in his hands as I turned around, and pulling my pistol I pointed it at his head, ordering the three men to step back.
They were not prepared for my resistance; the coat was dropped and they fled, while I returned home by another road.

Only two years afterwards I found out who these fellows were and what was their object.

They were hired to kill me and put my body upon the railroad track, so as to make it appear as if I had been run over by the train during the night.


I was at that time a great believer in communications with “spirits,” “invisible helpers,” etc., and attributed my salvation to the interference of some of my spirit friends ; but it seems to me now more plausible that the concentrated thought of the three men in the tunnel, whose full attention would naturally be directed towards my person, was by their will power, although without their intention, projected towards myself and entering into my subconsciousness awakened therein the sense of impending danger, which communicated itself to my external consciousness, and as words are the natural expressions of feelings, my hearing of the words “look out” may thus be explained. If, however, a more plausible explanation is presented to me, I shall be ready to accept it. »

(Occult Review, November 1906, p.246-247)







THOUGHTS OF THE DYING ACTING AT A DISTANCE

« In the year 1877 I was at Llano (Texas); while an intimate friend of mine, Mrs. Th. W. was at Galveston, several hundred miles away.  Some months had passed without my having received any letter from her; but as I had left her in perfect health, I had no cause for uneasiness.

On the evening of November 10 I went to bed as usual after 10 p.m., but after extinguishing the candle I had a feeling as if somebody were in my room and wanted me to get up and write.

I, therefore, rose again and went to my table, where I took a paper and pencil and wrote what came into my mind.  I was not unconscious, but knew very well what I was writing.  It was as if the words were dictated to me.

It proved to be a letter from my friend Mrs. W., addressed to me, in which she told me that she had died.

She also told me the nature of her disease, which was loss of vitality and exhaustion of nervous power from overexertion of “mediumship.”

She expressed herself to be very glad to be rid of her suffering body, and among other things she said that she had asked her husband to cut a lock of hair from her head and to send it to me.

Four days afterwards, I received a letter from her husband, containing the death notice and the promised lock of hair and confirming in all details the contents of that writing.


My explanation of this case is that as the sympathy between that lady and myself was very strong, the mental vibrations caused by the thoughts of her dying brain were caught by my brain in a manner comparable to the reception of relative waves by means of wireless telegraphy.

As to my feeling the presence of some invisible entity in the room, it may be accounted for by the fact that the spirit emanating from a person, i.e. his thought and will, is a part of the essence of the person from whom it emanates and bears the characteristics of that person, so that if I had been in a clairvoyant state, or if these thought vibrations had become more condensed or materialized, I might have seen the apparition of Mrs. W. herself.

This view may be confirmed by the following occurrence:


2. When my father was at one time a medical student at University, his father was at that time at 100 miles away, where he was lying ill of typhus fever. While he was in a delirious condition his nurse went for a moment out of the room.

During the absence of the nurse my grandfather arose and fell through the window out into the street, where he died. At the very moment when this happened my father saw the apparition of his father walking solemnly through his room. Evidently the last thoughts of the dying man were directed toward his son. »

(Occult Review, November 1906, p.247-248)








GLIMPSES OF THE SPIRITUAL WORLD

« The following experience seems to me highly instructive:

My mother died on October 26th, 1881 in Germany, while I was at that time in Colorado. On December 27th, 1881, while riding through a gorge of the Rocky Mountains, my interior vision became suddenly opened and I saw her surrounded by friends and relations who had died some years before. They all seemed to be bright spirits in luminous forms, and appeared to welcome her to a new and glorious life.

The whole scene was most beautiful and of a character which I cannot describe. I may add that I had not been thinking of her and that this vision was unexpected and very surprising to me.

It was afterwards explained to me that the post-mortem unconsciousness sometimes lasts for months before the soul of the dead awakens to the realization of its higher existence. It was this awakening which I was permitted to witness; the impressions which the soul of my mother received were communicated to me, owing to the bonds of sympathy existing between us»

(Occult Review, July 1907, p.14)







THOUGHTS OF THE LIVING ACTING AT A DISTANCE

« This year I stayed as a guest at the house of the Princess M. de R. at R a suburb of the city of Florence. One morning at 10 a.m. the Princess drove to the city, while I was occupied with writing.

At about 1 p.m. I suddenly heard the Princess in a loud voice, calling twice my name at the door of my room, as if she were calling for help. I immediately jumped up from my desk and opened the door, but no one was there. I asked the servants whether the Princess had returned, but received a negative answer.

Half an hour afterwards, the Princess drove up in her carriage; I went to meet her and asked her whether she had met with an accident, whereupon she answered that the horses had run away and that she had been terribly frightened and was thinking of me.  However she had not pronounced my name.

This would go to indicate that the inner personality has a consciousness and faculties separate from those of the outer one, and although the two are as one, nevertheless the inner man may exercise functions and send out vibrations without their coming to the consciousness of the external personality.

That hearing my name called was a subjective experience is proved by the fact that none of the servants heard it, although they were near enough to hear it, if the sound had been physical instead of being astral. »

(Occult Review, March 1907, p.138)







THE TELEPATHIC SOURCES OF INSPIRATION

« The following experience may seem to be insignificant, but to me it appears very instructive: Some years ago my friend Hugo Wolf of Vienna, the well-known composer of music, asked me to write for him the libretto of a comic opera.

I began this work and after having finished the first act, I read the same to a gentleman of my acquaintance, Dr. K., who happened to come and see me.

A few days afterwards I met Dr. K. again and he said to me:

-      “I would advise you to go this evening to the Leopoldstadt theatre, where they are playing your opera.”

This I did, and to my great surprise I found them playing a comic opera entitled "Madame Venus,” in which was represented the very piece that I was writing. The words were not exactly the same, but the action was identical. Of course my manuscript was consigned to the fire.

Now this may be called a case of unconscious reading in the astral light and goes to show that a person may be deemed guilty of plagiarism, though innocent in all respects, and such things happen perhaps oftener than may be supposed.

It is known that among the poems of Goethe there is one which was originally written by another poet and of which Goethe knew nothing.

There are many inventions and discoveries which have been made almost simultaneously by different persons unknown to each other. To such belong the invention of the sewing machine and telephone, the discovery of certain planets and satellites, etc.

H. P. Blavatsky has been accused of plagiarism, although I am certain that she never was in possession of the books from which she was said to have copied. She had simply the power of reading consciously the records existing in the astral light, proof of which I received many times during my two years’ intercourse with her.

Moreover, this case may furnish a clue to the understanding of certain phenomena which are still a puzzle to psychological science.

Whenever a person in a trance speaks a language unknown to him in his normal condition, or discourses learnedly about subjects of which he has learned nothing, it is usually believed by scientists that he must have somehow or somewhere heard of such things and that they impressed themselves upon his memory.

If, for instance, an uneducated person in a trance delivers a discourse in Latin and it is afterwards found out that he has heard here or there a few Latin words, the secret is believed to have been explained, however inexplicable this explanation may be.

Would it not be far more reasonable to seek a solution in the fact that every thing which takes place on this physical plane makes an impression and is recorded and retained in the "astral light,” the sensorium of the world, and that the things existing there may be reflected and their images mirrored forth in sensitive minds, capable of receiving corresponding vibrations? »

(Occult Review, June 1907, p.330-331)





No comments:

Post a Comment