Notice: I have written in other languages, many interesting articles that you
can read translated in English
in these links:
Part 1 and Part 2.


BLAVATSKY DESCRIBED BY DR. HÜBBE SCHLEIDEN


Dr. Wilhelm Hübbe-Schleiden was a prominent German scholar who contributed greatly to the formation of the Theosophical Society in Germany, and about the experiences he had with Blavatsky, he mentioned the following:


« Before I made Madame Blavatsky’s personal acquaintance I received the letter from one of the Masters via Colonel Olcott about which a good deal has been written, both in reports of the S.P.R. and elsewhere.

The principal parts of this letter have also been repeatedly printed, thus I need not go back to it here. But I will say in regard to the S.P.R. report, that I do not care in the least whether that letter was written in Tibet or in London, by Blavatsky herself automatically, or even consciously inspired.

Anyone who knows something of spiritual matters will never judge the value of such a letter from the way it is conveyed to him, or even how and where it is put on paper, but from its contents and from the power it has and exercises.

In the same way I do not estimate the value of Blavatsky from the phenomena she produced (and I saw many of them) but from her teachings, and these I consider to be of the greatest importance, almost inestimable.


Four or five times I have spent periods of different lengths with her. The first time from September to December, 1884 (about three months) when she stayed with the Gebhards in Elberfeld, where I had before met her for a few days in August of the same year.

After that I remained with her in Würzburg about a week or ten days in October, 1885, and I saw her last, one afternoon and night, early in January, 1886. Thus I had many opportunities to learn a good deal from her and about her, all the more so as she was always exceedingly kind to me and very seldom grew tired of my many questions.

I saw almost all the phenomena that she did at the Gebhard’s mansion, most of which have often been told and printed. One of them, however, I believe is but little known.

Mr. Schmiechen had made duplicate copies of those two Mahatma portraits which were afterwards sent to Adyar. These duplicates were given to Madame Mary Gebhard. The copies were so much like the originals that it was often disputed which were which. Only Blavatsky, Olcott, and Mr. Schmiechen were never in doubt; and in order to stop these doubts one evening Blavatsky said:

     -    "Just wait, now leave those pictures alone!"

And at the same time evidently concentrating all her powers on them. Not many seconds afterwards she said:

     -    "Now turn them round."

We did so, and found on the back of each portrait the well-known corresponding signatures of the Masters, one in blue, the other in red. But there would be no end were I to speak of all the phenomena. I will only add that I heard her produce the "knocks" and the "astral bells," still in the autumn of 1885 at Würzburg.

Once she felt too weak to do it alone; she required the assistance of one of the ladies present as her "medium," to supply astral force. I believe it was Mrs. Schmiechen then who willingly served her as one. Then we heard the knocks, as many as we wished and wherever we wished; in the table, on the looking-glass, in the cupboard, etc.

Several times I noticed that she could evidently read other people's thoughts; whether she could do so always I do not know. I should think that would depend on the power of that mind which she had to read, or perhaps on its spirituality.
 
 
About The Secret Doctrine, when I visited Madame Blavatsky in October, 1885, she had just begun to write it, and in January, 1886, she had finished about a dozen chapters.

While I occupied myself chiefly with Babaji, who was then living with her, she was writing at her manuscript almost all day, from the early morning until the afternoon and even until night, unless she had guests. At that time she wrote articles for The Theosophist as well.

(And this despite the fact that Colonel Olcott had expelled her from Adyar.)

But she had scarcely any books, not half a dozen, and I had to procure for her an English Bible, either to quote some text correctly or to control the correctness of some quotation.

In many respects her work was then carried on in a very similar way to that which Col. Olcott describes in Chapter XIII of his "Old Diary Leaves," in the April number of The Theosophist. I also saw her write down sentences as if she were copying them from something before her, where, however, I saw nothing.

I did not pay much attention to the manner of her work from the standpoint of a hunter of phenomena, and did not control it for that purpose; but I know that I saw a good deal of the well-known blue Kuthumi handwriting as corrections and annotations on her manuscripts as well as in books that lay occasionally on her desk. And I noticed this principally in the morning before she had commenced to work.

I slept on the couch in her study after she had withdrawn for the night, and the couch stood only a few feet from her desk. I remember well my astonishment one morning when I got up to find a great many pages of foolscap covered with that blue pencil handwriting lying on her own manuscript, at her place on her desk.

How these pages got there I do not know, but I did not see them before I went to sleep and no person had been bodily in the room during the night, for I am a light sleeper.

I must say though that the view I took then was the same that I hold now. I never did and never shall judge of the value or the origin of any mental product from the way and manner in which it is produced. And for this reason I withheld my opinion then, thinking and saying:

-      "I shall wait until The Secret Doctrine is finished and then I can read it quietly; that will be the test for me, the only one that will be any good."


This is the reason why on the night of my last parting from Blavatsky, the two certificates, which were printed for the first time in the last April number of The Path, page 2, were given tome.

At least I found them in my copy of Hodgson's S.P.R. Report after I had left her. I am the person who showed them to Mr. Judge in London last August. From the advice given me in the one signed K.H. I was not to publish them, but Mr. Judge was authorized to do so by the instructions which he received.



In concluding I will repeat that I consider The Secret Doctrine to be a book of the utmost importance, for I have not the least doubt that it really does contain the Secret Doctrine, the sacred wisdom of all sages and of all ages. In it are given the only true and useful (expedient) keys which can solve the riddles of existence as well of the macrocosm as of the microcosm.

I find it, however, very desirable, if not necessary, that explanatory abstracts should be written to it, in order to turn the contents to better use for present readers. That is the reason that I wrote my abstract from it in 1891, which I called "Lusty Leid und Liebe," which confined itself to the language and to the terms of Darwin, Haeckel and modern philosophy, with the purpose of putting a key to The Secret Doctrine into the hands of the leading scientists. My effort found no grace with the English public, but some in Germany.

Finally, I think it is an absolutely useless question, who wrote Blavatsky’s Secret Doctrine. It was written with her pen: but whether she was the adept herself, or some other adept or adepts wrote it through her and with her, is quite immaterial for the work itself and its indisputable value. »


(Reminiscences of H. P. Blavatsky and The Secret Doctrine by the Countess Constance Wachtmeister, appendix 6, p.110-114)














No comments:

Post a Comment