Notice: I have written in other languages, many interesting articles that you
can read translated in English
in these links:
Part 1 and Part 2.


ENCOUNTERS OF SRIMAN SWAMY WITH THE MASTERS





Sriman Swamy was a sannyasin, which is a Brahmin who renounced his social life to become a pilgrim in search of enlightenment.

Damodar Mavalankar was a Master Kuthumi’ student, who at the time worked in the headquarters of the Theosophical Society in India, but who left Adyar on February 23, 1885 to travel to Tibet with the purpose of meeting with his teacher and already become a fully accepted disciple.

And since nothing more was known about Damodar afterwards, people began to murmur that Damodar had died. And that is why a Damodar’s friend, who had heard that the Swamy had lately visited Tibet, was anxious to know whether he had heard or seen anything of his absent friend. 

On August 7, 1889, Sriman Swamy wrote a letter to that young man where he answered the following:


« Dear Sir and Brother,

In reply to your enquiries I may say that I certify on my word as a Sanyassi that I have twice visited Tibet since the year 1879; that I have personally become acquainted with several Mahatmas, among whom were the two known to the outside word as Mahatma “M” and Mahatma “K. H.”; that I spent some time in their company; that they told me that they and other Mahatmas were interested in the work of the Theosophical Society; that Mahatma “M” told me he had been the (occult) guardian of Madame Blavatsky from her infancy.

And I further certify that in March 1887 I saw Mr. Damodar K. Mavalankar at L’hassa, in a convalescent state.  He told me, in the presence of Mahatma “K. H.” that he had been at the point of death in the previous year. »
(This letter was published in the Lucifer magazine, September 1889, p.68)



And Richard Harte, who at that time was the editor of The Theosophist magazine, also commented that:

« Since then I have had two conversations with the Swamy, in the course of which he corroborated what he had said in his letter, and left on my mind the impression of being an able and sincere man. »
(Idem)



And the fact that Damodar was very weak, was also stated by Master Kuthumi in a letter he wrote to Colonel Olcott, and which was only made public much later, and where the Master mentioned:

« The poor boy has had his fall. Before he could stand in the presence of the Masters, he had to undergo the severest trials that a neophyte ever passed through, to atone for the many questionable doings in which he had over-zealously taken part, bringing disgrace upon the sacred science and its adepts.

The mental and physical suffering was too much for his weak frame, which has been quite prostrated, but he will recover in course of time. »
(Letters of the Masters of Wisdom, first series, c. 29, p.75)



And Blavatsky wrote to Mr. Navroji D. Khandalavala a letter, where she gave further explanations on this matter:


« London, November 21, 1889.

My Dear Mr. Khandalavala,

I have given to your letter of the 25th Oct., the closest attention, though there is nothing in it I did not know before; and now shall answer it with all seriousness.

Damodar is believed to have been driven away by harsh treatment to live or die as he pleased; and that he is, in fact, dead.

People think that the publication of Sriman Swamy's letter by me is traceable to Col. Olcott's “craving for strange stories and his anxiety to publish them without throughly verifying them in the first instance”.

Let me reply. Damodar is not dead, and Olcott knows it as well as I do.  I had a letter from him not more than 3 months ago.

No matter what your lying Sriman Swamy may, or may not be — one cannot always tell —  he passed successfully through a cross examination by Mr. Subba Row, who pronounced him a real “chela of the 2nd Class” to several witnesses in Madras (Judge Srinivas Row among others, Olcott, etc).

Without help he [Sriman Swamy] identified the two portraits of the Masters Kuthumi and Morya saying which was which, and gave facts not obtainable from books. The certificate he gave was sent to me by Harte as a duplicate of what was to appear in the Theosophist, and I printed it for reasons of my own, even after Harte had written that he suppressed it (through funk of the disbelieving Hindus) at Adyar.

I made no comments on it because there were two fibs in it:

a)   Damodar never was at Lhassa nor Sriman Swamy either, and not being permitted to say where he saw Damodar he gave a wrong name; and
b)   My Master never told him what he says of me, but he heard it from a chela.

I printed it with the lies, for two reasons: firstly, since I published it at all I had no right to change one word; secondly, I wanted to see what they would say in India to this. »

(This text is only some excerpts from Blavatsky's letter, which was subsequently published in The Theosophist in the August 1932 issue, p.618-619 and 623-625)






CONCLUSION

All these data make me believe that Sriman Swamy's assertions are very probably true and that he really met with Kuthumi, Morya and Damodar during his travel in Tibet.













No comments:

Post a Comment