Notice: I have written in other languages, many interesting articles that you
can read translated in English
in these links:
Part 1 and Part 2.


GANDHI OPINION ON ANNIE BESANT AND CHARLES LEADBEATER


 
Mohandas Gandhi, the famous leader of the independence movement in India, met the Theosophical Society when he was a young law student at the University of London.
 
In November 1889, he met Madame Blavatsky personally, and on March 26, 1891, he became an associate member of the Blavatsky Lodge.
 
About Theosophy, Gandhi wrote:
 
« Theosophy is the teaching of Madame Blavatsky. It is Hinduism at its best. Theosophy is the Brotherhood of Man. … Jinnah and other Moslem leaders were once members of the Congress. They left it because they felt the pinch of Hinduism patronizing. … They say Islam is the Brotherhood of Man. As a matter of fact, it is the Brotherhood of Moslems. Theosophy is the Brotherhood of Man. » (1)
 
 
 
Later, Annie Besant took command of the Adyar Theosophical Society and although Gandhi maintained the friendship with her, he had a firm position with regard to the new situation in the Theosophical Movement. With his characteristic frankness he gave his opinion responding to his friend Dr. Pranjivan Mehta, the following:
 
«  Tolstoy Farm,
Vaisakh Sud 10 [May 8, 1911]
 
Dear Shri Pranjivan,
 
Your two letters reached me this week.
 
I have held since 1899 the same views that you do about Theosophy and Neo-Theosophy.
 
They pressed me hard that year to join the Adyar Theosophical Society, but I refused in no uncertain terms, saying that, though the Society’s rule respecting brotherhood appealed to me, I had no sympathy for its search for occult powers.
 
I do not think that Mrs. Besant is a hypocrite; she is credulous and is duped by Charles Leadbeater.
 
When an Englishman suggested to me to read Leadbeater’s The Life after Death, I flatly refused to do so as I had grown suspicious of him after reading his other writings. As to his humbug. I came to know of it later.
 
All the same, I have drawn from Theosophy the lessons which seemed to me worth drawing. Blavatsky’s book The Key of Theosophy had made a good impression on me. Theosophy sent many Hindus inquiring into their own religion.
 
Moreover, Theosophists believe in the same basic principles as we do and therefore it is easy enough to come across good persons among them. Though there are no dearth of crooks at all levels from the highest to the lowest among the Vaishnav and other sects, we do find gems like Narasinh Mehta and Bhojo Bhagat amongst them.
 
Ritch was a Theosophist. He urged me to become a member. Not only did I not become one, I helped him to be free from that humbug.
 
Polak is a Theosophist, but he stays miles away from the practices and writings of Theosophists. The same is true of Kallenbach. When I was in India, I sent Gokaldas to the College at Benares (founded by Annie Besant, but later she transformed it into a worship center for her and Krishnamurti).
 
Then also I was disappointed. Even after wards, as long as I had not come to see the light, which I have now, that is, as long as I had not outgrown the fascination for modern education, I used to inquire about institutions like the Benares College and even wished to send the boys there, thinking that something was better than nothing. All that is over now.
 
Cordes, at Phoenix, is a staunch Theosophist. I have not yet been able to get him out of the hold of Neo-theosophy. In himself, he appears to be a sincere man. He has gone to Adyar at present, against all persuasion.
 
Being honest, he will see the fraud that is there and turn his back on it, unless he is taken in. It is worth ascertaining what humbug prevails there safe under the cover of Mrs. Besant’s goodness. Her desire to pass off as the “Master” is understandable. One who runs after occult powers cannot but become so intoxicated.
 
It is for these reasons that all our shastras have looked upon occult powers and Yogic attainments as unworthy pursuits. And that is the reason, I think, why bhakti-yoga is regarded as superior to hatha-yoga» (2)
 
 
Gandhi showed a great discernment in his opinion, because that was exactly what other renowned witnesses like Krishnamurti or Dharmapala also said.

 

Gandhi and Annie Besant at Madras in 1921

 

 


Notes
 
  1. “The Life of Mahatma Gandhi” by Louis Fischer, p.437
  2. “The Collected Works of Mahatma Gandhi”, vol. XI, p.393-395
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment