Notice: I have written in other languages, many interesting articles that you
can read translated in English
in these links:
Part 1 and Part 2.


POSTHUMOUS HOMAGE TO BLAVATSKY BY ALEXANDER FULLERTON

 
Alexander Fullerton was an important American Theosophist, and when Blavatsky died he wrote the following article in tribute to her.
 
 
 
SEEING LITTLE; PERCEIVING MUCH
 
Any valuable tribute to the character of Madame Blavatsky can come only from those who knew her far better than I. Yet no one who knew her at all, can be without some incidents or impressions illustrating the many-sidedness of the most marvelous personage of the century. I well remember my first words with her in August, 1887. I remarked that I naturally felt some trepidation at being in the presence of one who could read every thought. She replied that such an act would be dishonest. I said that I should not exactly call it “dishonest", though it might be unkind or intrusive. She answered, No, that it would be dishonest; that she had no more right to possess herself of another person's secrets without his consent than of his purse: and that she never used the power unless either the person himself requested it, or the circumstances were of a kind to make it imperative.
 
As I never had any desire to see phenomena, though fully believing in her occult prerogative, no suggestion for such ever arose. Yet on two occasions, both for a benign purpose, she made evident her occult perception. One was a verbal reference, remote but significant, to a matter known to no person living but myself. I was at the moment so astounded that I said nothing, and the subject was never re-opened — a reticence I now regret, since unrestrained conference might have resulted in great benefit to me, as was surely her design.
 
The other occurred in a tender and beautiful letter cautioning me against misjudgment and quoting a phrase I had used in writing to an American friend. As if to make certain to me that she spoke from occult knowledge, she added that I had used that phrase on the same day when happened an exceedingly trivial incident consequent on my stooping to pick up an article dropped to the floor. Now, dates showed that the phrase could not have been repeated to her in time for her letter to me, and, in fact, I have since ascertained that it was never repeated to any one; the incident referred to was too insignificant for any person to transmit across the Atlantic: and the few who knew of the incident did not know of the phrase. Both facts, as well as the concurrent date, must therefore have been seen by her in the Astral Light.
 
A stay of over three weeks in her household during March, 1889, brought me more closely in contact with Madame Blavatsky, and fits me to perceive how true are the certifications of her character by those who have been nearest to her. But apart from this, and as a matter of individual experience, there are two facts which, as bearing upon her worth, may be the contribution from one who knew her limitedly as I did.
 
The first is an enlarging conviction of her wisdom. On a number of occasions I have felt assured that her judgment was at fault, and that time would soon prove it. As to each of these, with one possible exception whereon I have not all the facts, time has proved her to have been right and me wrong. One naturally acquires confidence in a superior who is always thus vindicated at one's own expense.
 
The second is an ever-increasing affection for her. I had not seen her for over two years before her departure, and my expressed desire was that she should never add to her labors by writing to me. Yet I have been ever conscious of a growing personal attachment, not mere reverence or loyalty nor even homage, but affection. Little deeds of kindness, gentle messages, thoughtful signs that no friend, however unimportant, was forgotten by the great heart which contained so much and yet lost sight of nothing, helped to feed a devotion which would anyhow have matured. If I have to bless her for great, transcendent benefit which illuminates each day of life, I can also thank her for words and acts which cheer it. And so it comes about that one who was not of those nearest her, nor yet of those long working for the Cause, can rank with those to whom no contemporary name is so tender, honored, hallowed, sacred.
 
 
(This article was first published in Lucifer magazine, July 1891, p.380-381; and later in the book HPB: in memory of Helena Petrovna Blavatsky, 1891, p.73-74)
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment