Notice: I have written in other languages, many interesting articles that you
can read translated in English
in these links:
Part 1 and Part 2.


THE PARANORMAL PHENOMENA EXPERIENCED BY FRANZ HARTMANN





The writer Franz Hartmann throughout his research in esotericism was witness to numerous paranormal phenomena.

During his foray into spiritualism, he saw objects, flowers, algae and numerous spirits of all types materialize: men, women, children, of different races and of different sizes, and what he said about it I have put here.

And later when Franz Hartmann spent 16 months residing in India at the Central Headquarters of the Theosophical Society in Adyar, he saw materialize letters falling from the air or appearing in drawers that were locked, and he also saw materialized a ribbon of silk in front of his eyes, and had an encounter with Master Morya who was accompanied by two of his disciples.

And what Hartmann said about it, I have put in those four articles:



And Franz Hartmann also had in Adyar several meetings with a black magician (link). [later I will put it]

And throughout his life he experienced several telepathic phenomena (link).

And he also witnessed and performed several "miraculous" cures (link).


And below, there are three phenomena more that he recounted in an article:


« 1) In 1882, while at Georgetown, Colorado, I was well acquainted with a certain Mrs. N. D. Miller, of Denver, one of the most remarkable mediums for spiritistic phenomena, of whose extraordinary faculties for producing visible and tangible “materializations” I shall have occasion to speak further on. One day I went to Denver to visit her. It was a stormy day and we had a sitting together.

Mrs. Miller held a slate, upon which a bit of a pencil was deposited, under the comer of the table, and within a minute I received a written message, supposed to be from my father and signed with his name, in which my father told me that he had something very important to communicate; but that he could not do so on this occasion, as the conditions were unfavorable, on account of the weather. He therefore requested me to call again the next day.

This I did, and almost at once I received upon the slate another communication in the same to me well-known handwriting of my father, saying:

-      “My dear son!  I find that you are not as well as you imagine. You ought to take good care of yourself, as otherwise you will soon join us in the spiritland.”

He then gave me a prescription in Latin, which proved to be one for making black writing ink from extract of logwood with sulphate of iron, and of this I was directed to take one tablespoonful every two hours.

The phenomenon was undoubtedly genuine, but I was not much edified at such nonsense and Mrs. Miller suggested that it might have been produced by some jocular spirit.

I took leave and as I went away I followed again the direction from which I had come, when, by turning the next corner, I found the riddle solved; for there was a big show-window of a stationery shop, in which, besides some other articles, there stood a lot of bottles containing black writing ink.

It was now clear to me, that on coming, when I passed that window, the sight of these ink bottles made an impression upon my mind, although I had paid no attention and had not even noticed them.

During my youth I had often amused myself by making chemical experiments and among other things preparing black ink. The prescription for it was therefore well known to me and although I did not think of it, it existed within my subconscious mind, or perhaps within my aura, and by the mysterious action of mental powers it became impressed upon the subconscious mind of the medium, which by some means unknown to me caused the handwriting upon the slate.

Unsatisfactory and imperfect as this explanation may be, it seems to me far more reasonable than any of those theories of "trickery” or “imposture” which are frequently called to aid by ignorant sceptics, and which seem to me idiotic and usually far more incredible than the presumed action of unknown forces within the subconscious mind.

Mediums and such sensitive persons may be compared to living mirrors, in which the thoughts of other persons, or even thought-currents and ideas existing in the astral light, may be reflected and produce suggestions, which will be carried out by the unconscious action of the will of the medium, as it takes place during dreams; for life on the astral plane seems to be even more of a dreamlife than ours.



2) In the year 1886, after my return from India, I made, accidentally, the acquaintance of the wife of a German laborer. This woman was without any better education that than of her class, but in possession of extraordinary occult powers.

She could cure diseases at a distance, could heal wounds, ulcers, and sores, and could stop bleeding without seeing the patient, merely by “sympathetic” remedies, for instance by putting a blood-stained rag, coming from the patient, into a pot which contained sulphate of iron, after which the bleeding would cease.

This woman had never heard of what is called “psychometry,” so I concluded to try an experiment. I gave her a letter which I had received in a mysterious manner in India. It was a so-called “occult” letter, supposed to come from a Mahatma in Tibet, and was received through H. P. Blavatsky.

I asked the woman to hold the letter to her forehead and tell me what she saw. She did so and gave me a description of a Buddhist temple with a gilded roof, inscriptions, etc., and also of people whose dress she described. All this was afterwards published in the Theo sophist and verified by Blavatsky.

The event seemed very inexplicable to me, especially as I at that time had some cause to doubt the genuineness of at least some of the “occult letters” received by me at Adyar. I remembered afterwards, that, some months before, I had seen myself during a “dream” in a Buddhist temple in Tibet, and this vision was so vivid, that on the moment of awakening I still seemed to hear the voices of the white-robed persons with whom I had spoken in that place.

Now my explanation is that the objects which I saw during that dream, vision, astral visit, or whatever it may be called, had impressed their images upon my mind and become impressed upon the mind of that woman, although I was not thinking of them.

(This time Franz Hartmann was wrong because it is most likely that he has gone with his astral body to this mysterious place where the Masters have that temple, because other members of the Theosophical Society also claimed to have had similar experiences as is the case of C. Ramiah, see link.)



3) The following occurrence may have had a similar origin:

One night before falling asleep I saw a series of figures or letters before my eyes. They were very luminous and written upon the wall, as with some fiery substance. They were so plainly visible and stayed so long that I was able to copy them as they appeared one after another.

They were as follows:


I could not read these figures, but supposing them to be letters of some language unknown to me, I sent the writing to a professor of Oriental languages at Vienna and to a well-known German Egyptologist, Professor Lambert. Both of these persons expressed themselves unable to say what the characters meant.

Perhaps a year afterwards, I had occasion to see some Tibetan writing and I was struck by its similarity to these letters. I therefore made two copies of them and sent them to two Tibetan scholars in India, one of whom was Mr. Dhammapala.

In due time I received answers from both of these gentlemen, saying that it was Tibetan writing and that its translation was:

“You are the witnesses of this work.”

I should be glad, if some reader who knows Tibetan would verify it and send me the Tibetan text. Whether or not any foreign intelligence had anything to do with the production of this phenomenon, I am unable to say. »

(Occult Review, May 1907, p.280-281)






No comments:

Post a Comment